If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.
Switch to Accessible Site
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Guidelines to follow for before and after cataract surgery
- The preparation for surgery starts about a week ahead of time with washing your eyelid area twice a day
- Make sure to start your eye drops three days before the surgery.
- After surgery, you will go home and take it easy for the rest of the day. The next day you can return to normal activities.
- The doctor needs to see you one day, and one week after your surgery.
- For two weeks after the surgery you will want to avoid any heavy lifting, bending over, and exercise.
- About 3-4 weeks after surgery your eye will be healed and ready for a new glasses prescription.
EyeSmart Education, provided by the American Academy of Ophthalmology